We go to a lot of birthday parties (as most parents with little ones do). Every time we have a party to attend, I get weirdly excited to go find a present. Then, days beforehand, I find myself in Target searching the aisles and seeing the same toys over and over again – the excitement turned to total dread.
So, I’ve scoured a couple of places in Miami for better gifting options (and have gotten some good ones), and here are some safe bets:
- Learning Express: Located in the Promenade shops at Aventura (Chuck E Cheese, Nordstrom Rack, Michaels…you know the one). LE Has tons of cool toys, books, artsy stuff, blocks, et al. If you need to get something for a baby just starting with toys they have a good selection of that as well.
- Books & Books (Lincoln Rd, Bal Harbor & Coral Gables): Books are always a good option, and B&B has a great kids selection combined with little knick knacks if you want to spice up the gift. They gift wrap everything which is a double bonus because it saves you that extra trip/money/effort. (side note: B&B is an especially good option if you’re stranded on Lincoln Rd and need to
briberesponsibly calm your child with something interesting).
- Miami Children’s Museum: Two options here – you can buy a family pass if you’re attending the party of a good friend (they often have deals and specials), OR you can check out the Kid Smart gift shop. They have lots of cools gifts and gadgets – definitely they place for a little one who is into science/space that kind of thing.
- A to Z toys: Located on 41st St between Chase and Prairie, A to Z is like a treasure chest of toys. If you’ve never been, prepare to be overwhelmed with the inventory stuffed into this little shop. It is VERY expensive, BUT, they truly have everything you could want or need – and wouldn’t find elsewhere. The owner amazingly knows everything in there – prices too.
- Genius Jones: Good ol’ Genius Jones. The “new” store is now in Wynwood, which can be great if you work in Downtown/Brickell and need a quick but cute stop. This inventory is more for the baby set (and is pricey), but GJ always has something cute but a little different. http://www.geniusjones.com